Nonimmigrant visas are generally required for temporary (from a few weeks to several years) visits to the United States for work or for pleasure. Haight Law Group, PC specializes in the following nonimmigrant visa petitions and applications:
B-1/B-2 Visitor for Business or Pleasure
• B-1 visitor status is granted for short-term visits to the U.S. for business activities such as attending business meetings or academic conferences, receiving short-term training, conducting a plant tour, etc.
• B-2 visitor status is granted for short-term visits to the U.S. for non-business activities such as touring, shopping, or visiting friends and family.
E-2 Treaty Investor
• E-2 treaty investor visas are granted to citizens of countries with which the U.S. has an investment treaty and who can show a substantial investment in a foreign-owned business in the United States.
E-3 Treaty Alien in a Specialty Occupation
• E-3 visas are available for Australians for U.S. employment in a “specialty occupation,” i.e., an occupation that requires a degree in a particular field, and the foreign national has a degree in that field (or its equivalent).
H-1B Worker in a Specialty Occupation
• H-1B visas are available for employment in a “specialty occupation,” i.e., an occupation that requires a degree in a particular field, and the foreign national has a degree in that field (or its equivalent). Only 65,000 new H-1Bs may be granted each year, with an additional 20,000 for U.S. master’s degree holders; a lottery is conducted each year for this purpose. Once selected in the lottery, a foreign national is exempt from future lotteries for future change of employer petitions filed on the foreign national’s behalf. USCIS has shown increased scrutiny of H‑1B petitions, meaning that employers are more reliant than ever on our extensive expertise with these cases.
• H-3 visas are granted to individuals entering the U.S. for training that is not available in the individual’s home country.
L-1 Intracompany Transferee
• L-1A Manager or Executive and L-1B Specialized Knowledge visas may be approved for individuals transferring to a U.S. entity from affiliated companies abroad.
O-1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability
• O-1 visas may be granted to individuals with ‘extraordinary ability’ in science, education, business, or sports who are at the very top of their fields. In addition, O-1 classification may be granted to individuals with extraordinary achievement, i.e., a high level of achievement in the arts or a very high level of accomplishment in the motion picture or television field.
• P classification is available for internationally-recognized athletes.
TN Entry under NAFTA
• TN classification is available for citizens of Mexico or Canada who have the appropriate credentials and are seeking employment in an occupation listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 to NAFTA.